This guide goes over installation of a license server and activating an Ansys license
Authored By Don Dickinson
Important note before beginning.
This applies only to those who will use an Ansys Flexlm license. Ansys versions of Zemax Opticstudio will not work to activate or use legacy Zemax licenses. You will need to install a different license manager application on the server, and use a separate Zemax OpticStudio version.
If you have received a license number starting with L or T such as L100000, see this article for server and client setup instead. If you have a black USB network license (license numbers 22000-40999) see this article.
When a license is generated an email is sent to the license administrator with instructions on creating a license file. Below is the abbreviated steps.
Installing the Ansys License Manager
First the administrator will need to install the Ansys License Manager on the server.
We recommend a Windows server as that is what Zemax support is familiar with, though there are Linux versions as well. If you already have the Ansys License Manager installed move to the next section.
It can be downloaded from the Ansys customer portal linked below.
- Extract and install the ANSYS license manager into your license server machine.
- Follow the instructions on the installation wizard and complete the installation.
Capturing the server information
The below instructions are from https://www.ansys.com/it-solutions/licensing/capture-license-server-information
Run the following procedure on each system that you have designated to be a license server. During the process, you will be prompted for information about yourself and your company. The procedure will automatically obtain the machine's hostname and FlexNet hostid.
We recommend the default of capturing the disk information.
The license server HostID information is required to generate the license file by Ansys or to activate your entitlement in the Ansys licensing portal and download the license file.
- Your license server HostID information can be obtained opening the Ansys license manager installed on your server.
- Open the Ansys license management center, navigate to "License File Options" -> "Get System HostID information".
- We recommend using the Disk Serial number. Click "Save to file" the disk serial number.
Activating the entitlement
See the Ansys Licensing: Activating Entitlements how-to video for details.
- Log into the Ansys Licensing Portal using your Ansys credentials.
- Activate your entitlement by adding or uploading the license server Host ID information you saved from the Ansys license manager on your license server.
- Save the license file you receive and move to the next section.
Installing the license file
After you have received the license file, here's how to apply it.
- Open the Ansys license management center.
- Navigate to "License file options" -> "Add a license file".
- Browse to the location of your license file and add the license file.
- Install the license file and restart the license manager when prompted.
Configuring the license server
If you use a firewall or on a secure network, you will have to add the ports used by the Ansys license manager to your exceptions list. The process shown here is using the default TCP Ports used by the Ansys license manager.
Note: If Ansys LM is running, "Stop" the Ansys license manager and edit the "ansyslmd.lic" license file to add a static port for the VENDOR Daemon. The license file is found in the installation folder: (default install path shown)
"C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\licensing\license_files"
- The 'ansyslmd' vendor daemon port is dynamic (random) when you receive your license file.
- we recommend to set the default static port for the Vendor Daemon, add 'PORT=1056' at the end of the VENDOR line in your license file,
SERVER license_server DISK_SERIAL_NUM=1e324fdc 1055
VENDOR ansyslmd PORT=1056
- Once the VENDOR port is added to your license file, add the TCP ports; 1055,1056, and 2325 to your firewall/exception lists to allow access to the license manager.
- If different ports are used for the FlexNet and VENDOR Deamon in the license file, add these ports together with the Licensing Interconnect (2325) port to your firewall/exception list.
Check license server status and license usage
The Ansys license manager status and license usage can be checked from the Ansys license management center while logged in to the license server. In Windows the License Manager is available in the Windows Start menu.
This is can also be done from the terminal in Linux on the license server:
/ansys_inc/shared_files/licensing/linx64/ansysli_server -k info /ansys_inc/shared_files/licensing/linx64/lmutil lmstat -a -c 1055
Assisting end users access the license on the server
Once your server's license is setup, you should read Configuring Zemax applications to access an Ansys license so you can help your end users access this license. You will need to provide the server name and port number to them and that guide.